, Canada's Immigration Law Firm
Contact Us Franšais
the law offices of Campbell Cohen
Home Our Firm Services F A Q Submit an Inquiry

Intra-Company Transfer

Canada allows for the transfer of certain employees (executives, senior managers and specialized knowledge workers) to the Canadian branch, subsidiary or affiliate of an international company, without the involvement of HRSDC.

In order to qualify for a work permit as an intra-company transferee, a business enterprise "is or will be doing business" in both Canada and the foreign country.

An applicant seeking a work permit to open a new office on behalf of the foreign enterprise may also qualify, having established that the enterprise in Canada is expected to support a managerial, executive or specialized knowledge worker

An applicant may apply for the work permit in advance at any Canadian Visa Office. Alternatively, the foreign worker may apply for the permit at a Canadian Port of Entry. Also, if the foreign worker is in Canada as a Visitor, a work permit application can be filed within Canada.

Transferees should be prepared to supply the following documentation when applying for a work permit:

  • Proof of citizenship

  • Outline of pre-arranged position in Canada, including:

    » Duration of stay
    » Description of employment as executive or specialized knowledge

  • Proof of relationship between Canadian and foreign employers

  • Proof of previous employment with organization:

    » Minimum of one continuous year in the last three years
    » Similar position to the one being offered in Canada

Initial work permits for Transferees will be valid for at most three years. Transferees entering Canada to open or work in a new office will be granted permits valid for up to one year.

Extensions may be granted for up to two years at a time. Executive Transferees can be granted permits for up to seven years in total. Specialized knowledge workers are expected to more quickly pass on their expertise and can receive permits valid for up to five years in total.

For Permanent Residence in Canada, visit